Traditional Jamaican Rice & Peas recipe - Great accompaniment to most Jamaican entrees!
- 1 cup of dried red kidney beans or pigeon peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 Green Onions or Scallions, crushed
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 cups of rice
- Place beans & garlic in a large pot and cover with about 7 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes. You can test the beans by trying to crush one with the back of a spoon. If they crush easily then they are ready
- Stir in the coconut milk, green onions, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, salt, pepper and rice.
- Bring back to a boil and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Time depends on the type of rice used.