I use commercially prepared pasta sauce most often because of convenience. If you don’t make your own, be sure to check the ingredients to make sure you are not eating things you don’t want, like high-fructose corn syrup or too much sugar or sodium.
I also use a 1lb bag of frozen chopped spinach, thawed. Baby spinach would be a wonderful choice, but in my house that is readily consumed in salads and smoothies. I keep frozen spinach (and broccoli) on hand all the time, so I’m always confident it will be there.
- 4-5 medium zucchini squash
- 5 cups of pasta sauce
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella style shredded cheese (optional, or to taste. We like Daiya brand)
- 2 tbs oregano, divided
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 recipe vegan ricotta (Read Notes)*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine ricotta, spinach and 1 tbs oregano.
- Slice zucchini into vertical slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover bottom of 9×13 with 1 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Layer slices of zucchini on top of sauce.
- Cover with half of the ricotta sauce.
- Top with a layer of sauce, then zucchini and final layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella style cheese and 1 tbs of oregano.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
*Vegan Ricotta Cheese (Cashew Cream)
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- dash of onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- Combine in high speed blender (we use a Vitamix) until smooth.