So next time you’re short on time, or looking for low carb meals you know everyone will love, give this low carb Mexican chicken casserole a try! It’s a bake, melt, slice and serve kind of meal, and it’s full of cheesy, crunchy, nutrient dense goodness.
Easy to customize, perfect for low carb meal prep — heck I can’t think of a reason not to make this low carb Mexican chicken casserole, so let’s get to baking!
- 1 Lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 White or Red Onion
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Salsa spicy or mild depending on preference
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese shredded
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook the chicken anyway you’d like. Allow chicken to cool, then shred it into bite sized pieces.
- Chop bell pepper and onion. Add them to a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper, and saute until softened. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mix chili powder, cumin and oregano. Add sour cream, salsa, cooked veggies and shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Pour contents of bowl into a 9x13 casserole dish or large skillet..
- Pour heavy cream evenly over the top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole is warmed all the way through and the cheese has lightly browned.
- Cook the chicken any way you’d like, or to save some time: use pre cooked chicken and shred it by hand. This would work with rotisserie chicken as well.